Sunday, March 16, 2014

First Interview!

My first interview for my blog is none other than, MY MOTHER! She's a wonderful, beautiful, and hilarious woman who I love so much and who is the inspiration for my being a librarian. I don't know what I would do without her and her help. She's a great librarian and an even better mother and grandmother! I love you, Mom!

1. How long have you been a librarian? Technically, I’ve been a librarian for about 25 years. I worked as a page (part time) for 2 years, then moved to full time at the library. I later took over the Children’s Librarian’s job for the Pascagoula library, then moved to the position as the first Jackson-George Regional Youth Services Librarian. I worked there from 1975-1983. I left when Ben was born. I started back to work in about 1992 or 93 as an assistant teacher. That led to becoming the school librarian for Resurrection Catholic Elementary, finishing my library degree, and starting working at Colmer Middle school in 1999.

2. Why did you choose to be a librarian? I always thought I would be a kindergarten teacher or a P.E. teacher but when I started to work at the Pascagoula Public Library……that was it. I knew I wanted to become a librarian. What wasn’t there to like? Books….Children…Helping patrons…I loved it all!

3. What are 2 things people get wrong about librarians? One thing people always get wrong is that librarians are not necessarily QUIET! I have never thought libraries should be totally quiet. However, a free for all in the library is not what I am talking about either. The library is a very happening place and if done right, it’s a happy, bubbly, informative place. 2. All librarians don’t wear glasses, don’t have hair buns, and are not 80 years old!

4.Who is your favorite author? I would say that my favorite children’s/youth author is Tamora Pierce. She writes about strong female characters who are not afraid to try new things. If you have more than one, top5 ? Others I enjoy: J. K. Rowling and her Harry Potter series (not so much her adult tries.), Janet Evanovitch (hysterical series: One for the Money, etc. If you saw the movie, wipe it from your mind and read the books. They are literally laugh out loud funny!), Agatha Christie….nuf said. I am a very eclectic reader so I try many genres and enjoy authors from all over.

5. What do you like most about being a school librarian? What I love is turning the students on to reading. There is nothing as satisfying as handing a book to a student and saying, “try it. If you don’t like it, bring it back and we’ll try again.’ Then, that student comes in and there is a HUGE grin on his/her face and says, “I loved it. Got any more?” That is why I do this. Plus I am constantly amazed that as much as children love technology, they don’t always know how to do research and find the things they really need. I love that I get to see them all, but they don’t stay.I love being flexible and having different things happening every day. I am usually too busy to be bored and that is a good thing.

1 comment: