Sunday, July 27, 2014

Interview 5- Children's Librarian Sara C.

It's been a while since I've done an interview. I chose Sara C. because 1. She's my best friend, 2. She's been a children's librarian for years, and 3. She said, 'yes' to being interviewed.

I've known Sara for 10+ years. She's been my best friend for probably all those years. We volunteered at the public library in our home town in the summer's growing up, which is how we met. We went to junior college together and then eventually worked together (in different departments) at the library. She's a country girl and funny and just plain fun.

Interview!

1. Tell me 6 things about yourself. I'm creative and love to craft.  I always have a book or a book app with me.  I hated to read when I was younger.  I love the beach, but love the mountains just as much.  I love being outdoors camping, hiking, biking, swimming.  I want to travel the world and visit different places.

2. How long have you been involved with the library? I started volunteering in middle school for the summer reading program. My senior year in high school I got a job as a page.  Then Hurricane Katrina hit and I lost that job, but when they reopened I got a full time job as a Youth Services Clerk and have slowly moved up.

3. What's your job title? And what does that entail? Youth Service Library Assistant I (aka Library Lady, Ms. Sara, and more).  In my job I order materials, plan programs, and work with the kids in the library.  I have planned college workshops for teens, holiday programs for school age, and I even work with preschoolers doing story time at day cares and other libraries.  I'm also there to help with homework, readers advisory, or working with organization to promote reading.

4. What do you like most about your job? Least? I think planning programs is the best part of my job.  I love working with kids of all ages and I have fun doing it.  I love coming up with programs for summer or Teen Read Week.  My least favorite part of my job is sometimes the children.  I mean, if they are disruptive or have behavior problems.

5. Why do you think children's and YA books are important? I think these books are important in teaching our youth even if it's just a fiction book.  It can  teach politics, how to be a good friend, how to step up in tough situations.  I also think these books are important to help them stretch there imagination.  
 
6. Top 5 favorite authors? Recommend a couple books by them too please.
John Green- Paper Towns, Fault in Our Stars, and Looking for Alaska
Maureen Johnson - Name of the Star, 13 Little Blue Envelopes, and Girl at Sea  
Ally Carter - Gallagher Girl Series or Heist Society Series
Sophia Kinsella- Undomesticated Goddess, Can You Keep a Secret?
Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum Series
 
7. How do you feel about graphic novels? I think graphic novels are great books.  I mean I have found so many kids that now come into the library just to check out my collection of manga, anime, or graphic novels.  I love how they are remaking some of the classic books in graphic novel format also.  I find most of my reluctant readers love them.

8. In your opinion,  what do you think is the future for libraries and librarians? I think libraries are going to be around for years to come.  I know most people are saying that is not true, but I believe libraries will survive.  I don't think people truly understand what happens in libraries.  I mean people use the free internet computers to look for jobs, do school work, or when they are just passing through on vacation.  Some people cannot afford technology, there computers or printers at home break, or they just need to print information out and they are away from home.  In my library I see a lot people who cannot afford to go out and buy books, computers, or e readers. These are just a few reasons that why I think we will stick around for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment