Saturday, March 24, 2012

Intro & Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Intro about Me: I'm currently in a Young Adult Literature class for my graduate studies in Library and Info Science. So far, I have liked about 90% of the books we have read in the class. I'm starting with the books that we were to read this week in class, and then I'll go back and catch you up as time allows in my schedule. These are all different books so you may or may not like them if you choose to read them. I hope you do choose to read at least a few of them. Librarians, Teachers and Parents could learn a thing or 2 about their teens by reading some of these books.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
The book is about a young girl in high school who tells her story through cassette tapes to the 13 people she thinks made her do what she did. Clay is the character that we meet that has the tapes now and is listening to them in one night so he can find out what, if anything he did to her. The chapters are set up as Tape 1;side a, and so forth as Clay listens to the tapes. You can really sense his feelings of hurt, disbelief and confusion on why HE is on the tape. The author does a great job at differentiating between Clay's thoughts/actions and Hannah's story on the tapes.
I would give this a 4.5 out 5 stars on my list. 1/2 deduction because you never learn about how her parents are dealing or if they tried to help her. The ending, for me, made me cry so have some tissues handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment