Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Haunting of Charles Dickens by Lewis Buzbee

I picked this book because of the cover. It looked really interesting and so I thought, "hey, why not?" Well, it turns out that this book takes FOREVER to read. It took me almost a month to read it, which is highly unusual for me. It was very hard to get into and stay in it. It's a very long and wordy book, most of the words do not need to be there. I think if the author had cut half or more of the details out, it would have been a better book. I did like the characters though. Meg was a brave and fierce girl, Mr. Dickens was witty and caring, the father (Campion, which I love this name for some reason) was protective and loving like all dads should be, and the brothers were typical brothers. The story sits around the oldest boy, Orion, being taken and missing for 6 months. Meg and Mr Dickens set out on a quest, of sorts, to find him. In their travels, the run into some very unsavory characters, they dress up and take on disguises (as Mr Dickens is a famous man), and lie like rugs. It is a heartwarming story about love of family and saving children, but with ALL the details it's so hard to keep reading. I did like that the author included at the end some background about Charles Dickens' childhood and why the plot of the story was written as so. Very interesting! but again, I don't like TOO much detail- I just want the author to spit out the beginning, middle and end.

3 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment