Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

The Sugar Queen is such a fun and witty book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Josey is a closet candy and soda lover who hides her obsession of food in her closet. Her obsession with food is evident throughout the story (and it made me very hungry the whole time reading) and Allen incorporates the candy fetish in the titles of her chapters (which I think is brilliant). The story is about love, hate and overcoming obstacles. Josey is a great character and her love interest, Adam, is a great hero who shows her that everyone has someone out there that loves them for who they are. If you have ever had body issues, as a child, teen or as an adult, then this book is definitely for you. Some readers may dislike the parents in this book (I did) because of how set in their ways they are and for the awful advice one of the father's gives the character/ his son, Jake. Another issue that arises is cheating and whether you should or should not tell the person you cheated on (obviously you shouldn't cheat in the first place). But those 2 issues play minor roles when it comes to the whole, big picture. Another interesting part is the 'fairy godmother' who appears to Josey when she needs it the most helping her become her own woman. Also the character Chloe, who has books appear to her when she needs them most (wouldn't that be awesome!) makes this story even better and more interesting.

5 out of 5 stars!!! Candy and Love - need I say more ;)

1 comment:

  1. This was a very good read and I was resentful when I had to do something instead of read this book. Adam was a great character! I enjoyed him and his take on Josey's weight. I think we misread Jake's dad because of the way the author wrote about it, not really explaining the insight the dad had on Chloe. The 'fairy godmother' thing was truly intriguing. Way to go, Sarah Allen. I did not see that coming. Really good book.

    ReplyDelete